Tuesday, March 29, 2005

My "Perfect" Eyesight!

My beloved friends, here am I, back blogging again with a PERFECT eyesight!!!
Yesh! Its PERFECT 6/6 on both eyes!
The past 1 week was an exciting week for me.
So here I go to share with y'all with my LASIK experiences.

Woke up with butterflies in my stomach and they can't seems to stop.
Took a last look at myself in my nerdish specs and here I go proceeding to the hospital. 15mins late due to the hectic bus ride, registered, payment and got my eyesight tested 1 more time.

Realized that I'm getting my left eye done first (but actually they told me the last time, but forgetful Clariss totally forgotten everything)
sat patiently at the waiting area and said a little prayer to God.
My name was called as I walked bravely to the operating theatre.

I wore the operating gown over, with a shower-cap look alike thingy.
The nurse cleaned my eyes and applied a few drops of antiseptic eye drops to both eyes so I won't feel the pain.

My surgeon says hi to me and briefed me on the procedure later on.
No. 1 there will be a sudden lost of vision but rest assured I would regain sight within 1-2 second.
No. 2, I'll have to focus on the blinking red light throughout.
That's easy, as I thought to myself.

Took off my nerdish glasses and the blind mouse is really for the op!
Doc put the eye shield over and this metal thingy on which I hate it coz he needs to stretch open my eye real wide.
Look Doc! Yours truly have really small eyes so no matter how you stretch, that's the maximum you can stretch so stop asking me to open my eye real wide!
Suction was applied to eyeball as he need to mark my eye.
Everything was done and he proceed to slice the flap and flip it over and I totally freak out! Coz I can't see at all and I'm literally blind mouse.
You see, I was too engrossed in focusing on the blinking red light that I forgotten about the sudden lost of vision.
Luckily as promised I saw my 'favorite' blinking red light within 1-2 second.

The 40 second laser began and all I could smell is chou ta smell!
Its like over BBQ food.
As I giggled to myself I'm still focused to the blinking red light.
After completing the laser, he put the flap back nicely, wash my eye and everything was done.

I rested outside the waiting area for 15mins after which, Doc checked my eyes and I was allowed to return home.
Well at this point of time, I can see clearly even with the plastic eye shield over (to prevent me from rubbing my eye)

I was told to apply the eye drop every 2 hours and the artificial tear as and when needed to lubricate my eye.

I slept at 11am and woke up at 1 for lunch.
Oh boy I can feel a little pain as the antiseptic wears off but this is pretty normal.
I had a quick bite and jump back into bed again.
Woke up at about 5pm and the pain wasn't there anymore.
I wasn't allowed to watch tv or read the papers.
Was told to sleep, sleep and sleep. Doc said that the more I slept the faster I recovered.

Day 2, Ma accompanied me for the op on the second eye.
Well I had the eye shield on my left eye and I can't wear my spec as its like eye 1 clear vision and eye 2 bad vision. I
I had my vision tested for the left eye and was told that it was a 6/6 with no astic.
I was ready for eye 2 and the same story was repeated only this time
I was 'prepared' for the sudden lost of vision.
But the funny thing is that although I know what to expect, I was much more nervous compared to the day before...
So nighttime when I sleep, its 2 eye shield on and I definitely look like Ultraman!

Did I mention that I wasn't allowed to wash my hair for 3days?
Well, Doc was afraid that water might get into the eyes so I was wearing my trusty army boy baseball cap (that's an adidas toot!)
BUT my Kiasu and beloved ma ma insist that I wash my hair on the fourth day....
ok I shall not elaborate oh how my hair smell and my sms conversation with Gerri on can-boy being my best friend if I'm invaded with kutu!

Anyway went back for follow up on day 3 and was tested 6/6 PERFECT vision for both eyes!
I'm 'born' with new pair of eyes!!!
I'm still trying to get used to my new pair of eyes....
every night when I'm in bed, keep thinking that I've my contact lenses on, so its gonna take some time....
And I threw away my contact lenses, lenses container, solution etc.

Peggy, you can consider going for the OP, it really save you a lot of trouble. Actually the whole OP only takes about 10 to 15mins and once you are out, you can actually see quite clearly.
The only thing is that you have to get plenty of rest.
But of coz, every person condition is different and I heard some people have side effects like double vision, halo effect at night, constant redness and etc.
I'm juz the few of the lucky ones who can recover fast and suffer no side effect. However, bear in mind that LASIK has only been around for 10 - 15 years, so the REAL side effect will take a while to surface....

No comments: