Wednesday, February 13, 2008

cooking

the other day I had the whole kitchen to myself, so I decided to cook wanton mee. The authentic House of Lam Wanton Mee.

If I didn't mentioned, our family had been selling wanton mee for the past 20 years. I'm so particular about my wanton mee that I seldom had them outside, coz all didn't pass the House of Lam standard.

and again if I didn't mentioned, the famous take Q no. wanton mee at Old Airport Rd hawker center is my relative. But of coz, still ours is better coz my aunty learn the ropes from them and improvise on the seasoning :)

so here I gonna show you how to cook wanton mee, and dun worry, I didn't burn down the kitchen, you people of little faith *tsk tsk*

the secret recipe of the seasoning...

its secret recipe....ok lah, since you are my dear friends, I shall reveal a little. Theres oyster sauce, dark soya sauce, soya sauce, sesame oil, pork lard, and the spicy chilli sauce.

When the water starts to boil, throw in the wanton like this...

and when its cooked, put it aside.

Next up is the noodles

our regular supplier for the past 20 years. The noodles are very Q.

When the water boils, throw in the noodles like this


stir it a little to wash away the alkaline (the yellowish gluey thingy)


Sieve out the noodle and give it a cold water bath. Thats how the noodle become Q

erm, actually you are supposed to prepare a bucket of cold water, but I'm too lazy so wash it directly from the tap also can do the job :)

Put it back to the pot and cook for another 1/2min, and its ready to be served

garnish it the wanton and green chilli (preserved by my uncle, not bought from the shelf).

In case you are wondering, how come I didn't mix it together with the seasoning, the traditional cantonese style wanton mee do not mix the seasoning when served.


Yummy wanton mee *slurp*

1 comment:

Violet said...

i love wanton mee lor... can have it for bfast, lunch and dinner!

this post makes me crave for wanton mee -.-""