Tuesday, August 17, 2004

The advancement of technology

I'm sure all of us have called up helpdesk before. Before you can actually speak to the Customer Service Officer, they will make you press the number pad to acess to different section of the menu. Sometimes its very irritating, especially when its a pre-recorded voice machine answering to your enquery rather than human voice.

However, I've got a surprise when I called up Great Eastern Insurance a while ago. Instead of pressing onto the number pad to access the menu, they made you say the word out. For example, if you need to speak to the customer service officer, you just need to blurt the word "customer service" and they "lady" would put you through the customer service officer.

Although I felt its quite awkward at first, but it did save me going through the agony of listening to the list of menu and then pressing the number to make my selection. There's human touch to the whole enquiry process. It made me felt that I'm "talking" to the other party. Theres how IT has benifited human in our life....

No comments: