Monday, September 18, 2006

What is 见义勇为?

I wanna talk about the Clementi MRT incident.
Not discussing why the BF pushed his GF down the tracks but about why the SAF regular who blog about the incident was being criticized. Some called him an Ah Beng, that he should uplive the SAF image. Some accused him of taking the chance so that he could hit someone...

I say to hell with these nonsense! To me, he is a good guy.

Well let me share with you my experience, the MRT incident which happened 4 years back.

I was on the east-bound train heading towards town for dinner and movie.

I took the first seat, the one beside the doors (not the two-seater). Was clad in tank top and jeans, nothing revealing...

The journey was just like any other one until this guy who was standing at the other door, walked passed and stood beside me, facing the door. He had his right hand held onto the railing.

The train approached Kallang, door opened, he continued standing at the same spot without alighting. The door closed and the train continued the journey.

My first instinct was, why was he still standing there, thought he wanted to alight. I took a glance at him through the gap in between the railing and panel. He looked away upon seeing me looking at him.

I turned my head back and to my horror, I saw him holding onto to a camera in his right hand, (The gadget was giap between his fingers and the railing) and the LED was blinking. The angle of the zoom lense was facing my chest.

Shite! He was taking my pix. Back then, there was this craze where we see a lot of chao keng pix being uploaded onto the web. And most of these pixs were taken in public transport.

I took the courage, stood up and confronted him. Obvioiusly he denied that it was a camera. He kept pressing the button and said that this is a counter. To prove himself, he showed it to a passenger, and the passenger said that he couldn't tell if it was a camera.

I managed to snatched the camera over and examined it. There wasn't any screen on the camera. only a LCD showing some numbers (Digital Camera wasn't so up and coming back then. I've never laid my hands on one, thus I dunno how to operate the one I had in my hands) I suspected that it was a web camera. I was very mad as I couldn't proved him wrong and no one came forward to help me even I asked around for help. Everyone stood there, act busy and watched us as though it was a MediaCorp filming...

He tried to snatched the camera back, I refused, there was some pushing here and there. I was really mad at that time, and I gave him a slap across his face. I didn't known what came over me, probably afraid that he might upload those pix that he have taken up to the web. But then again, with him trying to "show" me that it wasn't a camera, I kinda figured that he might have deleted those pix, but I couldn't take the chance.

The train was approaching City Hall at this point of time. I feared that when the door opened, he might have just ran away, so I asked for help to bring him up to the station control. Everyone just act blur and ignored me.

I was helpless and angry. I could feel myself trembling. The train approached City Hall and I literally pulled him out of the cabin and up to the station control. Fearing that he would seized the chance and fleed, I grabbed hold of his tees so tight that I could feel my nails piercing through.

The police came, brought both of us to the station and took our statement.

Anyway my point is what is 见义勇为 to you?
Seeing a helpless person shouting out for help and do nothing, thinking that someone else will lend a helping hand, and later on criticize the 见义勇为 guy who came forward to help, that he took the chance juz so he could hit someone?

or

to answer to the call of the helpless person and come forward to help, which will probably land yourself up in uncalled for criticism?

I asked for help twice and no one came forward. That guy was quite big in terms of build and I had to pulled him up to the station all by myself. (I later found out that he was serving NS. Till today, I still can't figure out, how I did it. His muscel was tough!)

Seriously, what has the world become to?
读这么多圣贤之书有屁用?
Where has all the 好工民 and civil education gone to?
Down the drain?
Then why is the gahmen forcing the 10yrs of education on every mother son and daughter?
If all these years of education that everyone had was to teach you to shut up and mind your own business, coz we are only here for the paper qualification chase, I say this is sad!
damn sad!

side note> to all the ladies out there, you have to stand up for yourself, else people will take advantage of your timidness. I'm glad that I did it. If I had kept quiet, this guy would have gone scot free. Who knows if he will turned into a molester or worse rapist...At least now I know that my pix wasn't captured.

yaya... some of you might say I 错怪好人, maybe he really didn't take my pix, or it really wasn't a camera. It was my instinct, my 6th sense, that theres something fishy about this guy. Whats more, his guilty looks kinda confirm it.

10 comments:

eisburg said...

Welcome to Singapore. If it's none of my business, don't bother me.

Well guess the guy picked the wrong gal to bully. So what happened to the guy? Behind bars or fine or whatever..

I wonder if I would stand up to such acts if I even encounter one. But not all kettle are black, there's bound to be some hero behind those mask we are wearing everyday.

eisburg said...

The SAF Regular took down the post. Guess I'll never know what the hell he did.

Maybe you can shed some lights to his posts.

Anonymous said...

u poor gal!

furfur angel said...

read his tagboard, the gizz of it is there....

Anonymous said...

i wouldn't have known what to do if i were in your shoes. you rock girl, you stood up for your rights.

as for the SAF regular, i thought he did the right thing, beating up that bastard who pushed his gf down the tracks.

i guess humans always have the "another person will help" kind of mentality... end up no one helps. but i m sure there are people out there who helps people in trouble/need, juz like that SAF regular.

AnTe said...

I believe that this only happens in Asians ba... Due to the culture and stuff which is "incorporated" within our values (usually hidden). It's useless to point out what's right and what's wrong... At the end of the day, it's the individual to think about this... "If I have done the RIGHT thing, would this had happened?" So if you still hold your morals high, you'll definately do THE RIGHT THING... Else you're just another piece of useless shitte...

furfur angel said...

hersheys? I'm glad I did... and I'm advocating that every gals out there should too!

ante> theres too many useless shite around!

DK said...

Can't believe not a single person came to help you. I tot at least will have 1 person coming up.

So that guy ganna jailed for how long? Or din press charges?

furfur angel said...

no press charge! they can't find any pix in the camera.

thks to him "showing" me that it is not a camera.

贱人!

Anonymous said...

wtf! dare to wear dun dare to let ppl see? Typical phua cb spore gals.....